Sunday, January 31, 2016

Behind the quilt - Pixie Sticks

I thought I would share a little backstory on some of my quilt projects. I always find it interesting to find out where others get their inspiration for their creations and more about their process. It can just as often be very similar to mine - or completely the opposite.

I'll start with one of the projects from my book, Stash Lab - first up, Pixie Sticks, which is the smallest project in the book, a table runner. I have one drawer in my sewing room that has leftovers or orphan blocks from other projects. It also had leftover strip sets from other projects that I just couldn't bear to toss. I just needed to find them a new home. Cut down and paired with a simple steel gray solid with a linen texture, I came up with this...


Pixie Sticks table runner

Quilted straight lines with the walking foot
This one was so fun and easy that I decided to make it a second time - something I almost never do!
Pixie Sticks #2
I started with some beautiful scrap strip sets gifted to me by my friend Tracey - I love her scraps :) These were actually from another project of hers using Sew Kind of Wonderful's Quick Curver Ruler. I decided to work around the curves because the fabrics were just too beautiful to go to waste. Double score - the backing fabric was from her too! Here's where it started...gifted curved strip sets on the left.
Cutting down the curved scraps


1" wide scrap strips needed for the project
These scraps were more coordinated than in the original. The first time, I used leftover strips sets from several different projects to make the "sticks". This time, I paired the sticks with some plain unbleached osnaburg fabric. Have you tried osnaburg? I love it. It gives a nice, simple contrast to bright scraps with a beautiful woven texture. Ask for it at your favorite LQS, they probably have it. It can be a little stretchy because of the looser weave, so starch away!

A little big stitch hand quilting added the perfect touch to this project. Simple, modern and scrappy!
Big stitch hand quilting done with #8 perle cotton thread

Happy scrap quilting,

Tonya



4 comments:

  1. Pixie Sticks is one of my favorites in the book . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both versions are beautiful Tonya! I have never heard of Onasburg cotton, but it sure looks great with your big stitch hand quilting!
    Could not resist your book and I just ordered it! It sounds like exactly what I need to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I just love your patterns and blog. Found your book today while I was looking for something else at Amazon.. Can't wait to get it.

    Sincerely,

    ReplyDelete